As a prelude to a more in-depth look at the London International Wine Fair, on behalf of Wine Equals Friends, I’d like to present The New York Bus Tasting.
On Monday May 20, leading members of the UK wine trade joined Kareem Massoud of Paumanok Vineyards, Bob Madill of Sheldrake Point & Red Newt Cellars and the Wine Equals Friends team to taste through some of New York State’s best wines.
Attendees included Steven Spurrier (Decanter), Stephen Brook (Decanter, World of Fine Wine), Emily O’Hare (Head Sommelier, The River Café, London), Gerard Basset OBE, (Decanter Man of the Year 2013, Best Sommelier in the World 2010, MS, MW, WMbA), Mikael Jonsson (Hedone Restaurant, 1 Michelin Star, 70th Best Restaurant in the World), Erin Smith (Harpers Wine & Spirits Magazine), and Patrick Schmitt, (The Drinks Business).
We poured the wines in five flights.
Flight 1: Chardonnay
- Channing Daughters Brick Kiln Chardonnay, 2011
- Wölffer Estate Perle Chardonnay, 2008
- The Lenz Winery Old Vines Chardonnay, 2008
- Paumanok Vineyards Minimalist Chardonnay, 2010
Flight 2: Riesling
- Tierce Riesling – 2006
- Red Newt Cellars Reserve Riesling, 2006
- Sheldrake Point Reserve Dry Riesling, 2006
- Lamoreaux Landing Red Oak Riesling, 2010
Flight 3: Pinot Noir & Cabernet Franc
- Sheldrake Point BLK 3 Pinot Noir, 2009
- Sheldrake Point BLK 3 Pinot Noir, 2011 (Tank Sample)
- Lamoreaux Landing Cabernet Franc, 2008
- Red Newt Cellars Glacier Ridge Vineyard Cabernet Franc, 2010
Flight 4: Merlot and Cabernet blends
- The Lenz Winery Old Vines Merlot, 2002 (90% Merlot, balance: CF, Malbec, Petit Verdot)
- Paumanok Vineyards Assemblage, 2007 (69% Merlot, 22% Petit Verdot, 9% CF)
- Paumanok Vineyards Tuthills Merlot 2007 (100% Merlot)
- Bedell Cellars Musée, 2007 (73% Merlot, 11% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Petit Verdot, 5% Syrah)
Flight 5: Dessert
- Wolffer Estate Diosa Late Harvest, 2011
- Paumanok Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest, 2009
In my full LIWF report, I shall give an insight into what people thought of the wines, both on the bus and back at the NYWGF stand. Plus some of my favourites from the stand, and an update on the UK market.