By Evan Dawson, Finger Lakes Editor
Photos by Morgan Dawson Photography
Can you see how much fun we had on Saturday?
We were overwhelmed with the turnout for the official book launch event at the New York Wine and Culinary Center for Summer in a Glass. That's Fred Merwarth of Hermann J. Wiemer on my left and Johannes Reinhardt of Anthony Road Wine Company on my right.
Johannes and Fred kept the crowd entertained with stories of their personal journies (if you haven't heard it, you must ask Fred about Hermann's fib when Fred first went to work for Wiemer). There was a moment when the room burst into applause in support of Johannes and his quest to earn permanent status in this country. And the quality of the questions from the audience when it came to winemaking was off the charts.
I'm told they had to turn some people away — the room was packed, and the staff did a fantastic job. We enjoyed food from the NYWCC, and this was the wine list:
1. Hermann J. Wiemer 2006 Cuvee Brut
2. Hermann J. Wiemer 2009 HJW Vineyard Riesling
3. Hermann J. Wiemer 2009 Magdalena Vineyard Riesling
4. Anthony Road 2008 Semi-Dry Riesling
5. Hermann J. Wiemer 2008 Cabernet Franc
6. Anthony Road 2007 Martini-Reinhardt Selection Cabernet Franc
7. Anthony Road 2008 Pinot Gris Bellaria dessert wine
As you might guess, the wines were cheered at every step.
If we missed you Saturday, see you soon at one of the events found on this page.
Our thanks to Chrys Baldwin, Shannon Brock, and the staff at the NYWCC.
And our thanks again to Fred and Johannes for giving their time and energy to make for a truly memorable event.